Globalization: Social & Geographic Perspectives

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Blog #5: Looking Deeper into Religions

May 8th, 2011 · 5 Comments
Uncategorized

In the video, “In Israel, When a Jew is Not Jewish Enough,” I was surprised by what was said mostly due to the fact that I myself am Jewish. Jonathan Levitt, a Jew from California went to the state of Israel to serve in the army. But he was rejected, and told he wasn’t Jewish according to the Jewish law. There are many different levels of Judaism that Jews across the world practice, but to me it doesn’t matter who is more Jewish than the next. This situation with Jonathan Levitt, definitely needed to be looked into more for them to for sure know according to the Jewish law whether he is Jewish or not. But regardless, if you believe in the state of Israel and you want to fight for it, then why can’t a person be a part of it? That’s what truly matters.

In the article, “The Christian Revolution” by Philip Jenkins, he discusses the stereotypes of the Christians. Some see it as the religion of the west, un-black, un-poor, or un-young. So Christianity then seems to be dying out more and more. But this is just a stereotype and seems not to be true because the Christians are doing very well in the global south, and keep expanding. This will continue, and they will keep growing, despite the stereotypes that may be present. After we realize this global perspective that they are prospering in many more places than we believed, we should think before we say statements about what modern Catholics accept. Western Christianity has been dying down, and Southern Christianity is just emerging.

5 responses so far ↓

• 1    Josh Jacobson // May 9, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I found the situation in the first audio you spoke about to be rather odd. I have some friends who are Israeli and are not even remotely religious, yet they are allowed (forced) to serve in the Army. I found it rather absurd that Jonathan was turned away from the Army simply for not being “Jewish enough”. The fact that he wanted to serve should have been enough.

• 2    Prof. Hala // May 9, 2011 at 8:29 pm

The title of your post captures the common thread in these two pieces, as well as the videos on the niqab debate — that if you look more deeply into religions, you’ll find there’s plenty of diversity *within* religions, or religious communities. We tend to think of religions as coherent entities or “cultures,” that are this way or that way, whose believers think this way or that way… Yet the reality is that there’s ongoing battles *within* religious communities over definitions of whose “[fill in name of religion] enough” or what counts as “proper [Muslim/Jewish/Christian] behavior,” etc.

• 3    peterjun // May 10, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I completely agree that there are many different “cultures” that conflict with christianity. As a christian my self, i am constantly frustrated by the fact that my religion cannot unite together and squabble over petty little contexts in the bible. I am not too sure if other religions face the same issue but arguing within one religion seems to have more cons than pros.

• 4    Kurman100 // May 15, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I agree, Israel is a small country and therefore should accept most people who apply to be in their army. Obviously their background should be investigated but if a Jew sincerly wants to help and fight for the State of Israel I think they should be welcomed.

• 5    Jessica Sorensen // May 17, 2011 at 2:26 pm

A great majority of the people I know may not consider themselves very religious, but they do associate themselves with a specific religion. I was born Roman Catholic and still consider myself one. I do not attend church every Sunday like a “good Catholic” maybe would, but I still conciser myself a Roman Catholic.

I do not think that it was fair that Johnathan was rejected from serving in the army due to the Jewish Law. Even though he may not practice his religion as a “good Jew” may, he should still have the right to fight for his country if he is physically and mentally able to do so.

You must log in to post a comment.