Globalization: Social & Geographic Perspectives

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Blog #4- ABC’s and Libya Border Wars

April 25th, 2011 · 2 Comments
Apr 12/Cultural Globalization & Latino Immigration and American National Identity · Uncategorized

As I was listening to the audio on “The ABC’s of Chinese Americans” it really caught my attention. It’s always interesting to be able to relate to what the speaker is talking about. Flushing, Queens is one of the most well known places that almost every New Yorker has spent some time in. Of course attending Queens College for the last four years has brought me closer to Flushing. It is obvious that is one of the biggest Asian populations in the world and luckily for that, great food and culture is available right around the corner. I would have never known there were actually classifications of Asians. It was especially cool to learn that Helen Peng ( who was born and raised in America) was able to visit her roots and fell in love with Taiwan. I strongly believe that after being born and raised in America although your parents might be from another country, once visiting your homeland you’ll instantly fall in love. I could relate. If I was ever able to visit Tehran, Iran I would most definitely fall in love with everything about it. It was funny to hear how Helen Peng relates to the two classifications. It’s unfortunate that both are technically so different but oddly enough the FAB’s want to be like the ABC’s and vice versa. It’s also unfortunate that the two groups don’t get along that well. Who would have every thought this extremely distinct classification could cause problems throughout Flushing. She discusses the bigger issue between new and old immigrants. Due to political turmoil, and communism the older immigrants suffered more then the new immigrants. Throughout the entire audio it was easy to differentiate between the speakers that are FAB’s and ABC’s which isn’t necessarily a good thing, people from the same country should be able to get along. They should represent their country as a whole. Who cares if one group spits more then the other. It’s not the end of the world. Flushing will always remain the way it is and I’m not complaining certainly because of the delicious food they have been able to provide.

Libya- Border Wars

I had been following what was going on in Libya when the crisis first started. I would have never thought it was this extreme. After watching the Border Wars in Libya it really opened my eyes. I thought I was watching a clip from ancient history. There are so many refugees that are fleeing Libya was nowhere to go. No one can help them or at least that’s what it seems like. The reporter was extremely brave to film on such a dangerous border. People are constantly searched and the fate of their lives left questionable. I can’t imagine having to flee my home not knowing where I will end up. These Libyan refugees seem extremely brave. Although they are fleeing a major crisis they are attempting to save their families in a much more stable environment. Some people hope to flee to Morocco as soon as possible. I also was shocked to see the camps separated according to what country you came from. It seems like the Somalians are treated the worse. One family said they had to flee because Libya was killing foreigners living in their country. Unfortunately they can’t go back to Somali because it’s where they had originally fled because of crisis happening there as well. It was bizarre hearing Ghadafi’s voice over the loud speaker. Some citizens were fleeing Libya although they were happy with Ghadafi which was strange to me. Perhaps they are trying to avoid the dangers of living there. The UN doesn’t seem to be helping enough. Ten thousand out of twenty thousand refugees are given food rations. That clearly isn’t effective. People haven’t been able to eat for over 5 days. Watching this video was more shocking then anything. I want to just pick up and go help these people but it’s so dangerous. They could begin a violent protest at any minute. These refugees deserve to be safe and should be given the opportunity to relocate to a much safer place.

2 responses so far ↓

• 1    Prof. Hala // May 4, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Lots of great observations. The phenomenon of first-generation, US-born or US-raised children “falling in love” with the origin country of their immigrant parents is widespread, and fascinating. I definitely feel an affinity with the culture, even the nations, of my extended family in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Of course, it helps that I still have ‘extended family’ there. Not everyone does, or has access, due to political conditions (which seems to be your case vis a vis Tehran). Still, your expectations suggest that such affinity can exist even in the absence of having been in a country.

I agree, the segregation of refugees by country of origin in the camp is quite disturbing. The way the video highlights the continued — perhaps enhanced — significance of citizenship status/’legality’ in an age of globalization was the main reason I chose to assign it. It highlights stark hierarchies among states/citizens within a system of putatively equal and sovereign states.

• 2    lisaaa // May 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I agree, I am also American-born but like Helen Peng said, you become envious of the FOBs. Like I always wished I knew how to speak my language and knew how to cook the food. There’s always stereotypes of different cultures that make you hide your identity which is probably why the ABCs make fun of the FOBs, but FOBs are cool in their own way.

You must log in to post a comment.