Globalization: Social & Geographic Perspectives

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Blog 1: Nannies, Maids and Sex Workers vs The Wealth Gap

April 5th, 2011 · 2 Comments
Uncategorized

In this economy, a woman must work to support her family. One income is no longer enough to sustain the needs to a family. This has led to an increase in the demand for nannies and other domestic helpers to take care of children, help around the house, and other needs. Many women from 3rd world countries have stepped up to the job. I find it ironic that what we consider menial labor is considered a good job by these immigrants, who see the job as their stepping stone to a better life for their families. Women all over the world are becoming more empowered and willing to sacrifice for their family, whether it is through a 9-5 job or traveling across the world to have a decent paying job. When I was younger, my mother picked me up from school everyday. Now, I see many kids getting picked up by nannies and grandparents, because their mothers are all working. Interestingly enough, I also see many dads there to pick up their children- probably jobless for the time being, which further explains why the mother would be out working.

In ‘The Wealth Gap’, Mariko Chang explains the inequalities between men and women, and the further inequalities that are faced by people of color. Women have always faced the daunting task of breaking ‘the glass ceiling’; they face many more challenges on their way to the top. My father always told me that if I wanted to get anywhere in life, I would have to work 5 times as hard as any boy doing the same thing, simply because I am a girl. Men and women of color face even more barriers. Although everyone is considered ‘equal’ (supposedly) women of color are even worse off than men of color. Their jobs do no provide them with enough benefits to ensure that they will be able to sustain a family on their own.

None of these readings were surprising to me. There has always been a gender gap, and it will remain unless steps are taken to promote fairness and equality (in pay and benefits) for everyone. Women need to work twice as hard to get to where they need to be. But I believe it will pay off in the long run.

2 responses so far ↓

• 1    brenda // Apr 6, 2011 at 9:07 am

The ideas reported in the wealth gap article were not surprising to me either. However, what was surprising was how vast the gap was between women of color and woman who are white. I have suggested that women of color face a double consciousness as WEB Dubois would have referred to it. Women of color are part of two oppressed groups. They are women and they are also of color. Professor Hala has even suggested to me that women of color are actually faced with a triple consciousness. Not only are they women and of color, but they are also Americans. These women struggle to identify with all three of these different identities.

• 2    temimahz // Apr 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm

What you wrote about menial jobs becoming opportunities of employment for women from Third World countries really stuck with me! If someone says “I’m a stay at home mom” or works as a nanny, she isn’t necessarily looked at with the highest regard but she should be because it too is a job! Although these women immigrate and need to support their whole families we should be applauding them for doing so…I wrote earlier we need to look at both sides of the coin and this is true with this perspective as well.

You must log in to post a comment.