Globalization: Social & Geographic Perspectives

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Blog 1 on Positive Effects of Globalization

February 9th, 2011 · 1 Comment
Feb 8/Debating Globalization

Blog 1:  “The Hidden Promise: Liberty Renewed” and “How to Judge Globalism”

The authors of these chapters (John Micklethwait, Adrian Wooldridge and Amartya Sen) have made their views on globalization clear.  They believe that overall, globalization is beneficial and necessary.  The good which results from globalization outweighs the bad.  Far more people are positively influenced by globalization than negatively influenced.  Those which globalization does not influence positively need to find a way to make globalization work for them.  Getting rid of or ignoring globalization is not the answer. 

Overall, I agree with the authors.  I believe globalization has many positive components.  I cannot even imagine my life without globalization.  Globalization has made my life what it is today.  As an American, I feel my life has been dramatically influenced by advances, inventions and creativity in other countries.  For starters, great shows such as “The Office” would have never made it to America if not for globalization.  This show started in the UK and has been recreated in many countries.  While doing my laundry, I noticed that none of my clothes were made in the US.  Most of my clothes were made in China, Taiwan, Vietnam and Indonesia.  Because of globalization, I am able to purchase my clothes at a reasonable price.  My watch, clock, TV, pictures frames and makeup were all made outside of the Unites States.  Globalization has allowed me to purchase many diverse items at low prices.  The food I eat is imported from all over the world.  I ate a Clementine from Spain this morning.  In the United States, it would be difficult to find clementines at this time of the year for reasonable prices.

Of course, these are just some of the minor ways in which globalization has affected my everyday life.  Globalization is the sharing of ideas.  People all around the world should share their ideas, talents and innovations.  Rejecting globalization would stop the spread of these ideas.  I acknowledge that there are problems that come along with globalization, especially for poorer countries.  However, as mentioned by Sen, if these poor countries reject globalization (technology, trade and social economics) they will never have a chance to advance.  Instead, we need to tweak globalization to make it work for these countries.

1 response so far ↓

• 1    Prof. Hala // Feb 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Excellent post, Brenda. I especially like the your reporting on the everyday ways globalization touches you personally – tv, clothing, other consumer goods, food. Even if it’s on a personal/individual level, your defense of globalization is empirically-based, not ideological. Just what we social researchers like to see!

You must log in to post a comment.