Globalization: Social & Geographic Perspectives

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Wikileaks-Net Neutrality- Anthony Mendola

December 7th, 2010 · 3 Comments
Uncategorized

Wikileaks is great if it is exposing corruption which it has done. But lately it has been exposing secrets the government has been trying to keep under wraps for reasons of national security which is making the US vulnerable against terrorists. In a way they are being terrorists themselves, making it easier for real terrorists to take advantage of secret documents being released by wikileaks. They have gone off focus to achieve their objectives of exposing corruption and have made many mistakes such as releasing names of innocent Afghan citizens who were helping the US military jeopardizing their safety. I think the media has put the spotlight on wikileaks which has made this situation a bigger thing than it is. It is wrong for the government to take wikileaks offline because that is basically just giving in to them and saying that the government is guilty. There is many websites out there which are not as popular exposing secrets and corruption that not many people pay attention to because they can be fake. The government over reacting at wikileaks just shows that wikileaks is exposing truth and the US gov’t is scared of that. As long as wikileaks (Julian Assange) is not breaking any laws, and is only using his freedom of speech, I see no problem with keeping wikileaks online.

I think a good way to think about net neutrality is to think of a library. Our public libraries are filled with information within books, all at our fingertips for free. The same should go for the internet. This FCC rule is about internet providers making more money with no care about the public’s interests. If this rule goes through, it will end up the censorship that occurs in China’s internet. This will be the beginning of the end of the internet as we know it. Hopefully we can put a stop to this rule.

3 responses so far ↓

• 1    raminm21 // Dec 8, 2010 at 12:05 am

I like your facts on wikileaks on how terrorist can use wikileaks for their own good. I also agree on the fact that they put afgan citizens in danger by stating their names. That is when wikileaks is dangerous and why sometimes I disagree with the website.

• 2    zeyanhe // Dec 8, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I like the fact that you brought up our library.Since you draw my attention on it, I believe that books in library are different from sources or information online. Most books and information that is offer in the library are selected, therefore they probably only offer books that are published and went through publishing rights. Whoever approved these process probably followed a guideline that was written by the government or higher authority. This also shows that how much government control on what we read.On the other hand, information online are easier to access and many didn’t have to go through any publishing rights, but i believe that information online is very skeptical.

• 3    ndrumgo // Dec 8, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I agree with you when you said terrorist use wikileaks for their own good. I also agree with you when you stated “I think the media has put the spotlight on wikileaks which has made this situation a bigger thing than it is”. I do like the fact in class that facebook and twitter is not supporting wikileaks, they shouldn’t. There’s too many kids on there.

Kai

You must log in to post a comment.