Globalization: Social & Geographic Perspectives

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Naomi Klein: Brands vs Products

December 7th, 2010 · 4 Comments
Uncategorized

Naomi Klein is the author of “No Logo” which focuses on marketing’s  effect on the creation of brands and how it effects culture and citizenship. In this interview Klein explains how brands begin to transcend the very product themselves, no longer actually selling the attributes of a company’s product but selling a greater essence of community and of an idea. I found this interview to be interesting and informative. I generally agree with Klein about most people wanting to feel like they belong to the brand and that they buy that particular product as a status symbol to show off to others . The interview discusses how advertising has had to transform over the years to meet an ever changing consumer need. I thought the case of Levis jeans was interesting that they were being scolded in the NYT that they had not found their brand essence and were still just selling jeans. I also don’t particularly agree with Klein’s analysis with branding in a political sense and with how it was done pertaining to the Afghanistan war.

-Sean Lettis

4 responses so far ↓

• 1    zeyanhe // Dec 8, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I believe that some brands contradict themselves when they say that they want to sell a meaning or an idea behind their brand but then their share of the company are being controlled by another company that has their own idea. like Klein stated, “nobody is actually selling what they’re selling”

• 2    ndrumgo // Dec 8, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I agree with everyone wanting to fit in but I disagree about people buying a product to show off, it depending on the person and their attitude. Some do and some don’t. I also like the “nobody is actually selling what they’re selling” too. Now you never know if your really getting you money worth.

Kai

• 3    Basil // Dec 9, 2010 at 12:54 am

I think that its natural for the average person to see many others using the same product and it convinces them that this particular product is best or better than it may actually be. Most likely because its such a popular choice, and word of mouth and personal recommendations travel very quickly.

• 4    Prof. Hala // Dec 9, 2010 at 1:07 am

Excellent synopsis and analysis, Sean. I wish you would have explained why you’re skeptical about applying the concept of branding to the political sphere. I too am a little unsure about how well the concept travels. There are probably valid arguments for treating political identity differently than a consumer identity. One might say money works differently in the political sphere, for example. But I dunno.

You must log in to post a comment.