Globalization: Social & Geographic Perspectives

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Cultural Globalization and Resisting Globalization

November 29th, 2010 · 2 Comments
May 10/Cultural Globalization & Resisting Globalization

In Chapter 46 Jenkins explains how Christianity is not only surviving but actually expanding.   I agree with him this because Christianity has visibly become diverse.  In my Church one can see a variety of ethnic backgrounds spread amongst the rows of pews.  According to Jenkins Christianity is not only growing in the global north but as well as the southern regions of the world.  Due to this change it has effectively changed the perception of the previous version of a Christian.  He also says that back then Christianity was thought to be only the un-black, un-poor, and un-young.  When I first read this I was shocked because I always viewed religion as a comforting zone of acceptance.  I never thought that society could even try to mold religion into a certain stereotype.  No matter how hard I tried to visualize a modern Christian, I couldn’t come up with any one type of person.  I’ve been exposed all my life to many different types of Christian followers.  When it comes to religion, I believe that it should be the one special place where your ethnicity, age, sex, political view or financial status does not matter.  In The Christian Revolution, Jenkins writes that if we follow the Marxist view of religion then one would conclude that religion will disappear as long as society progresses.  Jenkins doesn’t agree with that belief and neither do I.  In the united states alone Christianity is booming amongst professionals and highly technologically oriented people.  This fact alone argues with the belief that Christianity grows more in numbers amongst the poor and uneducated.

In Ethan Watters Article, he states that a group of anthropologists and cross-country psychiatrists have found evidence that culture, environment and time can spark new and unique mental illness to its habitants.  For example in some Southeastern Asian countries Men experience a moment of murderous rage followed by insomnia.  This is called Koro.  I find this type of information very interesting because my younger brother is diagnosed with Autism.  Autism is a mental disorder that has yet to have a concrete reason as to why a child develops this condition.  I recall a time when I read an article that said certain countries have a very low increase in autistic diagnoses per year.  It brought up the question of “is the culture/environment a factor to this mental disorder?
Professor Mehta’s experiment shows that we show more sympathy to those how have become mentally ill through life experiences than to those who have become mentally ill through bio-medical/genetic abnormalities.  Reading that saddens me because regardless of how you fallen ill mentally, they should all be shown the same kind of benevolence from everyone.  Mehta believes that those with Biochemical abnormalities have almost become a different species due to “mental health Literacy”

2 responses so far ↓

• 1    jonathan kurzman // Nov 29, 2010 at 11:48 pm

after reading your post i started thinking and the findings of the experiment do make sense. perhaps its the idea that since a person born mentally disabled is seen as not knowing any other way to live he is looked at less sympathetically than someone who grew up completely healthy who then somehow developed a mental disability

• 2    chrilala // Dec 12, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Regarding ch. 46 and Jenkins, I found from the essay that Jenkins just believes that since Christianity is so intertwined into the less developed cultures. So soon the old notion of who is a Christian who soon disappear forever and be replaced by the culture of Christianity that has evolved out of the Southern countries. Regarding how mental disabilities are viewed by society, the fact that those who are born with these disabilities are viewed to be less important than those who develop them just solidifies how shallow society can be.

You must log in to post a comment.