Globalization: Social & Geographic Perspectives

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Nov 23rd Blog

November 23rd, 2010 · 2 Comments
May 3/Cultural Globalization · Uncategorized

In the audio entitled “In Israel, When a Jew is Not Jewish Enough” I found it quite astonishing that many people migrating to Israel are being, basically evaluated and interpreted on how “Jewish” they are. Many people are considered “not Jewish enough” by Jewish law even though they fight in war to protect Israel. This stigma even gets passed down to their offspring- in which their children are also not considered or recognized as “not Jewish enough”. I don’t think it is right that a nation can deny you of your identity; people are being turned away for “wanting to be more Jewish”.  I wouldn’t want my country telling me what I am or what I am not concerning my identity. In America, we can be anything we want to identify with, being that our country is so diverse. You can associate yourself as being from just your mother country, or as I like to add, a hyphen- Greek- American, incorporating both my identities into one. I wouldn’t want to be told that I was not one or the other because I identify with both countries, and that is what makes up my personal identity.

Chapter 45 entitled “Obedience versus Autonomy: Women in fundamentalism in Iran and Pakistan”, I was appalled while reading how women were described in relations to their husbands. Women are described as basically an object in which she must obey the needs and desires of her husband whenever he wants her to. “A permanent wife must not leave the house without her husband’s permission, and must submit herself for whatever pleasure he wants… In this case her maintenance is incumbent upon her husband. If she does not obey him, she is a sinner and has no right to clothing, housing, or sleeping” (373). Women are being portrayed as a piece of meat in which men can do whatever they please with this object they own. I cannot imagine being in a marriage in which I would have to sign a contract in which basically takes away my whole persona. This goes to show how diverse the world is and how people of different culture view women in many different ways. We think since it is the year 2010 that we should be passed the whole idea of women being of lesser value than men, but clearly, this idea is still practiced and believed in other parts of the world.

2 responses so far ↓

• 1    antoniomachevejr // Nov 23, 2010 at 2:08 am

Eleni, concerning the Jewish question, I understand your frustration and I too feel that it is unfortunate that people go to their “homeland’ to identify with their culture and get rejected. Nonetheless, before comparing two states, it’s important to understand the motives that lead one state to enact certain laws.
    In this light, it’s important to understand that Israel is a Jewish State and America is not a religious based state. Further, looking at the demographics, the state of Israel has been more influenced by the ultra-orthodox over the years, which is a more conservative branch of Judaism; hence, the strict laws on Jewish identity. I do not necessarily agree with what they are doing, but I understand their motives. Now, I believe that to every problem there is a solution. For the men who want to integrate to the Jewish society, they need to move forward from victimization and changing societies is not like changing a pair of sneakers, especially from a secular state to a religious state. They have to understand the laws of the state and live by them if they want to integrate. Even for them to accustom to the way of life, it will take some time. I believe that there are steps that they can follow to be eligible to participation in the IDF and other Israeli institutions if they want to genuinely integrate to the society.

• 2    ndrumgo // Dec 8, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I agree with you when you stated, “I cannot imagine being in a marriage in which I would have to sign a contract in which basically takes away my whole persona”. This shows how much freedom we have in America as female, and we should somewhat respect it. You stated there are steps people can follow to be eligible to participate in the IDF, can you give an example? But this was a wonderful post and there was so many things I agree with you in your post. Good job!

Kai

You must log in to post a comment.